Barack Obama: makes your skin soft
Barack Obama: cures cancer
Barack Obama: stops aging
At least that is what you would think listening to his zealous supporters. I think everyone, Hillary and McCain included, is starting to realize just how inspirational a speaker Obama is. Listening to one of his speeches you can’t help but be reminded of the famous orations by Kennedy, Martin Luther King, or even Lincoln.
Why are so many becoming inspired by this one man? Has it really been that long since this country has had a truly inspirational leader? Yes, it has. Not since civil rights era politics has there been a speaker as compelling and gifted as Obama.
- Nixon? Hardly.
- Carter? Was elected because he wasn’t Nixon.
- Reagan? Close. Positively engaging and a gifted speaker, capable of relating to masses of Americans on very simple terms. But he wasn’t a truly inspirational speaker. And he had no real dream of “hope” – unless you count hope of lower taxes.
- Bush 1.0? About as bad as Carter.
- Clinton? Again, close. Bill was incredibly engaging, and a master manipulator. And he did have a few lofty goals. But not quite in the league of the masters.
- Bush 2.0? Let’s just say he can’t even say a four syllable word without fumbling it.
And maybe it’s because this time, there are hugely important stakes of a magnitude we haven’t faced in the past three and a half decades. And because Obama is not just on the right side of the issues, he’s capable of inspiring hundreds of millions of people to DO SOMETHING about them:
- Global warming: “It’s the planet stupid”. The US has steadfastly opposed actions to save not only the world our children will inherit from us but also the entire planet.