A criminal lawyer deals with all areas of criminal law. A criminal lawyer helps defend the persons accused of crimes in state or federal courts. A criminal lawyer also deals with the three most consistent items that make up a crime: an act, a mental state, and the intent to do social harm. The types of crimes that criminal attorneys deal with are classified as misdemeanors, ,which are less serious, and felonies, which can be severe depending on the crime committed. A criminal lawyer is needed when the complainant makes an accusation that is investigated by the police.
A criminal lawyer is usually quite expensive, but can be well worth it since an expert lawyer in the field of criminal law can do wonders at reducing sentences. Though criminal lawyers can be costly, having one on your side will probably improve the outcome of your case.
- Alaska population, 2005 estimate 663,661
- Alaska population, percent change, April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2005 5.9%
- Alaska population, 2000 626,932
- Alaska population, percent change, 1990 to 2000 14.0%
- Persons under 5 years old in Alaska, percent, 2004 7.6%
- Persons under 18 years old in Alaska, percent, 2004 28.7%
- persons 65 years old and over in Alaska, percent, 2004 6.4%