A criminal lawyer deals with all areas of criminal law. A criminal lawyer helps defend the persons accused of crimes in state or federal courts. A criminal lawyer also deals with the three most consistent items that make up a crime: an act, a mental state, and the intent to do social harm. The types of crimes that criminal attorneys deal with are classified as misdemeanors, ,which are less serious, and felonies, which can be severe depending on the crime committed. A criminal lawyer is needed when the complainant makes an accusation that is investigated by the police.
A criminal lawyer is usually quite expensive, but can be well worth it since an expert lawyer in the field of criminal law can do wonders at reducing sentences. Though criminal lawyers can be costly, having one on your side will probably improve the outcome of your case.
- California population, 2005 estimate 36,132,147
- California population, percent change, April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2005 6.7%
- California population, 2000 33,871,648
- California population, percent change, 1990 to 2000 13.6%
- Persons under 5 years old in California, percent, 2004 7.3%
- Persons under 18 years old in California, percent, 2004 26.7%
- persons 65 years old and over in California, percent, 2004 10.7%